Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chapter 16

1. Have you ever had an experience in which you thought personal or public expression went too far and should be curbed? Explain. How might you remedy this situation? 
Have you ever been to Key West? Oh my goodness, if that is not the city for personal expression I don't know where is. Key West in the summertime is full of personal expression. There were drag queens and half naked people wasting the nights away on the top floors of bars. Signs that read "Clothing Optional" was just about enough to keep me from going out at night. I felt that level of personal and public expression was too much to handle. I chose to go out during the day when most of the "crazies" were sleeping and make sure to be inside by midnight. Key West is one wild town during the nights, and the expression levels were outrageous.
3. The writer A.J. Liebling once said that freedom of the press belonged only to those who owned one.  Explain why you agree or disagree.

I think in our 1st Amendment right the freedom of speech should state that this is an incorrect statement. In my opinion, Mr. Liebling was attempting to keep people's opinions to themselves and off the press. This however would violate the freedom of speech. Speech could be spoken or written down. It is all a matter of technicalities. I think by leaving the ability to form press, only to those who owned one is discriminative and should not be allowed. This is absurd and should have been vetoed, per say, by the people who witnessed this statement. 


No comments:

Post a Comment