Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chapter 13

1. Are you exposed to popular culture from other countries? Why or why not? Give some examples.
 
As an American, you would think that we would be more exposed to other cultures from countries around the world; however, for myself, this is not the case. I have never traveled outside of the United States and have never been given the opportunity to directly be exposed to another culture other than my own. In middle and high school, I took French as a foreign language and was able to incorporate much of the French culture into our classes each day. Our teacher would also give us the opportunity to bring in french foods to taste. The french culture is so much more laid back, opposed to the United States.
 
2. Do you read international news? Why or why not? 
 
To be honest, I do not typically follow international news unless it is on the television. Shockingly enough, this past Sunday night while I was watching the Phillies baseball game I quickly noticed the caption scrolling across the bottom of the screen, stating that "Osama Bin Laden has been killed". Of course, I immediately knew that this would be one of the biggest accomplishments in American history. Bin Laden has been one of the most wanted criminals for the past ten years and our military men and women located him. This news affects not only the United States but every other country in the world. I will be sure to continue and follow international news for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment