Friday, January 21, 2011

Chapter 1, Questioning the Media


1. Using music or television as an example, identify a performer or program you once liked but grew away from as you got older and your tastes changed. Why do you think this happened? Do you think your early interests in popular music or television have had an impact on shaping your identity? Explain.

As a child I used to like to watch the television show Full House. This show was very popular in the late 1990’s when I was growing up. The show was based around three young sisters being raised by their father and two uncles. The youngest daughter, Michelle, was performed by twins Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who were very popular in the 90’s for young girls. Many people eventually were able to watch the twins grow up on screen. I enjoyed this show because I have a younger sister and it was easy for me to relate to the drama the three sisters created on the show. Full House became one of my favorite shows and eventually I began watching re-runs of it. No one wants to watch re-runs so I began to branch out and watch other shows. Around this time, the Disney Channel became extremely popular and offered a number of television programs that appealed to young girls my age. I think watching these age appropriate shows shaped me to know what was acceptable and what was not.

3. Pick an example of a popular media product that you think is harmful to children. How would you make your concerns known? Should the product be removed from circulation? Why or why not? If you think the problem should be banned, how would you do it?

Over the summer I watched an eleven-year-old boy every day. I had lots of fun ideas planned and places to take him that I thought he would love. He quickly told me that he thought my ideas were “stupid” and that he would prefer to sit inside and play Grand Theft Auto on this Play Station. The name “Grand Theft Auto” and an eleven-year-old child to me sounded terrible. This game is rated “T” for teenager. After watching some of the game I realized it was a little violent for an eleven year old to be watching, much less playing. Considering the parents purchased this game for their son it was definitely not my place to say anything to them about the violence their son was being exposed to. I think that parents should view the games they purchase for their children so they can see what their children are viewing and playing. I do not necessarily think the game should be banned, I would just say if you are to purchase this game, keep in mind the age of the person that will be exposed to it the most.

4. Make a critical case either defending or condemning Comedy Central’s South Park, a TV talk show, professional wrestling, a hip-hop group, a soap opera, or a TV news coverage of the U.S. occupation of Iraq. Use the five-step critical process to develop your position.

The Jerry Springer Show, hosted by Jerry Springer himself is in my opinion one of the trashiest shows still on television. Many of his day shows consist of cheating couples, mothers who do not know who their child’s father is, and even shows guessing whether a person is male or female based on their drag clothing. The show is full of violence and profanity. I do not know why this show continues to have a number of viewers. It has been producing programs for twenty years. You would think people get tired of watching family fights and cheating spouses. Jerry Springer in my opinion has nothing of any educational value to the public and if a child were to flip onto this channel while this show is playing, that child will be exposed to lots of “bleeping” and hair pulling fights. The producers of this show should tone it down a notch and if they cannot do so, the show should be cancelled. It’s outdated and the people on this show just want their “fifteen-minutes of fame”.

No comments:

Post a Comment