Friday, January 28, 2011

Chapter 4

1. Describe your earliest memories of listening to the radio. Do you remember a favorite song? How old were you? Do you remember the stations call letters? Why did you listen?

I can vaguely remember the first time I ever listened to the radio. I'm sure that I was very young, maybe around the age of 5 or 6 on the way to Pre-School. My mom would always turn it to the contemporary christian station, 91.9 on the way to school in the mornings. I can remember listening to this station even through high school when I would ride to school then as well. I liked all the songs on this station because I heard them at church when I was at youth events. I also thought listening to music like that early in the morning, would give me a good start to my day. I was usually more stressed when I listened to loud music, and this music is more mellow and relaxing.

5. How might radio be used to improve social and political discussions in the United States?

I think one problem the United States faces is the fact that news is usually on the television mostly. If the news of the current events were spoken of on the radio more people may hear it. Most people drive with the radio on and that may give more opportunities to reach listeners. I also believe that politicians in the United States do not cater to everyone's intellectual standpoints. There are plenty of citizens that have not had much education and struggle to understand what exactly politicians have to offer. Radio may help to explain things in a simpler form that some citizens may understand better. Radio has a lot of options and gateways to getting information across. The United States should take advantage of these opportunities. 



No comments:

Post a Comment