Friday, January 21, 2011

Chapter 2, Questioning the Media

1. What was your first encounter with the Internet like? How did it compare with your first encounters with other mass media?

I honestly cannot remember the first time I used the Internet. I am assuming it was sometime in early elementary school. I do know that my family had a huge Gateway computer and we had a dial up Internet provider through America Online, also known as, AOL. The noise that was made when the computer began to look for the signal is still fresh in my head. The house telephone was always busy when someone tried to call so my parents always made my sister and I log off as soon as we were done with whatever we were online for. The first encounter online was a lot more in depth than my first encounter with a cell phone or video game. Cell phones and video games are rather self explanatory; however, the Internet could be pretty difficult to navigate if it’s your first time searching for something.

2. What possibilities of the Internet's future are you most excited about? Why? What possibilities are most troubling? Why?

The Internet’s future has been drastically changing ever since it was first created. The most exciting new invention within the Internet is the usage of webcams and video chatting. I have a Skype account and use it often. I am able to physically see my friends that attend different universities in the state, country, and even over in other countries. I find that to be so neat! It’s just like sitting next to the person having a chat. I think these possibilities continue to expand and progress. Some people can even see more than one person on their screen at one time. Something I find to be troubling about the new possibilities on the Internet include all the loopholes predators could use to find online victims. There are a lot of sick and troubled people out in the world and people, especially young adults and teens should not be naïve when dealing with people online. If you do not know someone personally, your best bet is to not try and get to know them online. It could be anyone and you never know what their motive is when they are talking to you. It’s kind of creepy.

4. Do you think virtual communities are genuine communities? Why or why not?

When I think of the word community, I think of a group of people that you are close to because of where you live or the activities you are involved in. An online community may be good for those needing support for something, however I think virtual communities are not exactly as genuine as face-to-face communities could be. There is nothing like sitting in front of someone talking to them. A virtual community would be good for giving and sharing support or sharing information, but I would keep my guard up before giving out personal information to complete strangers you met online in your “virtual community”.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment